Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Off the Cuff - Cucumber Sandwiches and Bread Puddings

I love making bread puddings! I make them a lot after I make cucumber sandwiches. You are probably wondering how one has to do with the other. I make cucumber sandwiches with white bread that I cut a small round out of. I am left with lots (and lots) of bread edges after taking the rounds out of the slices and hate to throw them away, so I make bread pudding!
 
I'm bummed I don't have any photos to share, but I can share with you my recipe for both cucumber sandwiches and the blueberry bread pudding I made yesterday. Enjoy!
Cucumber Sandwiches
Ingredients
1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
2 loaves white bread
2 medium sized cucumbers
2 tablespoons dried dill

Instructions
1. Beat cream cheese and dill with mixer until well blended.
2. Using a biscuit cutter, round cookie cutter or small glass, cut circles out of each slice of bread (including the ends).
3. Peel cumbers and cut into thick rounds. (I use a crinkle cutter!)
4. Spread cream cheese mixture onto one side of each bread circle.
5. Place one cucumber round on bread circle and top with another bread circle. Keep moist with paper towels spritzed with water.
Makes 20 sandwiches


Crock Pot Bread Pudding

Ingredients
8 cups cubed day-old bread
4 eggs
2 cups milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup fruit (berries, raisins or other dried fruit)

Directions
1. Place cubed bread in a 3-qt. slow cooker.
2. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, sugars, butter, vanilla and cinnamon.
3. Stir in fruit.
4. Pour over bread; stir gently.
5. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
Serve with ice cream or whipped cream

(recipe adapte from Taste of Home)

No comments:

Post a Comment