Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Off the Cuff - Bacon Mushroom Noodle Casserole

I am always in the mood for some comfort food. And for me, that includes a nice warm, creamy casserole. While we were waiting out hurricane Irene this weekend, I decided to make a yummy casserole for lunch. Years ago, my mom gave me her recipe for a tuna casserole, that you can also make with canned chicken. PERFECT! But alas, I had no tuna (and the checkered husband wouldn't have eaten it anyway) and I had no chicken.

I was down, but certianly not out. I was determined to make a casserole and nothing was gonna stop me! So I found half a package of sliced mushrooms and a pound of bacon and Bacon Mushroom Noodle Casserol was born! Enjoy!

Bacon Mushroom Noodle Casserole
Bacon Mushroom Noodle Casserole


Ingredients
1 can mushroom soup
1 ½ cups noodles
almost a full soup can of milk
American cheese – 2-3 slices
A handful of shredded cheddar cheese
3-4 slices of bacon, chopped
3/4 cup sliced mushrooms

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Cook bacon in skillet until brown and just crispy, drain on paper towels. In the same pan as drippings, sautee the mushrooms until soft.
3. Cook pasta according to package directions, drain.
4. In a medium sauce pan, combine soup, milk, cheeses, bacon and mushrooms. Stir until warmed through and cheese is melted. Add pasta.
5. Pour into casserole dish and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.

To make a tuna or chicken version, add one can of either, drained, to the sauce mixture.




Before baking
Hot out of the oven!

No comments:

Post a Comment